Pages

Thursday, June 17, 2010

Motivational Story

I love this story, told by a LUNA Chix leader...

The Luna Chix mission - to inspire women to “Get out and Play!” was embodied by Linda, an elderly woman in her eighties who I met during a swim. Linda slowly shuffled past me in the locker room - she was hunched over and had a sizable swollen mass in her right ankle. My initial reaction was to feel sorry for her. As she walked passed me I wished her a good morning which she took as an opportunity to start a conversation. I learned that she was a former model but was hit by a motor cycle nearly fifty years ago – ending her modeling career. After several surgeries, the doctors informed her that she would spend the rest of her life in a wheel chair. But she was adamant that she would walk, and with great determination she did. She told me she was an avid swimmer before the accident and has continued to swim nearly every day since. She wanted me to know that she was certain that she was walking today, despite what the doctors said, because she was physically fit before and after the accident. I no longer felt pity for this woman – I was inspired by her.

No comments: